Open Briefing prevents and responds to serious attacks on civil society and civic space around the world and works to create the conditions in which they no longer happen.
Through unique, demand-driven projects, Open Briefing provides rapid responses to immediate threats to human rights defenders and other civic actors at risk and longer-term holistic security capacity building and mentoring to grassroots organisations.
As a social enterprise, we also help charities, foundations, and social businesses understand and meet their risk management, duty of care, data protection, and safeguarding commitments to staff and local partners.
For more information, please see our #10YearsOfImpact page.
We are recruiting for an exceptional consultant to lead our digital security workstream as part of our senior management team. This is a remote role, and you can be based in any time zone within UTC -4 to UTC +8.
As the lead of one of our three holistic security workstreams, you will be the senior manager responsible for growing our digital security team and service offering as well as contributing to the ongoing success of our organisation.
Your specific roles and responsibilities will include:
- Building up our digital security workstream by:
- Recruiting, onboarding, and supervising an international team of expert consultants and trainers.
- Developing and promoting a range of digital security support services.
- Processing requests and managing our responses to referrals for funded digital security support for at-risk activists and low-resource civil society organisations.
- Responding to enquiries from NGO and foundation clients for digital security consultancy and training and liaising with them and our consultant team through any subsequent contract(s).
- Quality assuring and providing expert input into the work of your colleagues in the digital security workstream providing support to clients and recipients.
- Improving our internal digital security by:
- Providing on-demand digital security advice and support to our team members.
- Coordinating our response to any digital security incidents or data breaches alongside our CEO.
- Conducting a digital security audit using a suitable audit framework.
- Developing, documenting, and socialising a revised framework of policies and procedures that is compliant with UK GDPR and, where relevant, HIPAA.
- Playing an active role in shaping our organisational strategy and culture as part of our senior management team alongside our CEO, safety and security lead, wellbeing and resilience lead, and finance director.
- Representing Open Briefing by:
- Liaising with external civil society partners and providers.
- Participating in relevant conferences, meetings, and events.
- Providing digital security training and consultancy to clients and recipients as appropriate (contracted separately).
We are seeking to build a long-term working relationship with the successful candidate. This contract is for 7 days a month for an initial six months, extendable by mutual agreement and dependent on funding and performance.
In line with our other workstream leads, this role is compensated at £400 per day. You will also receive an extensive package of free psychosocial support and health and wellbeing resources, including access to an online GP, helplines, counselling, and online exercise classes.
This role can be combined with the other digital security consultancy that we are currently advertising.
- At least five years professional experience in digital security in the non-profit sector.
- A deep understanding of information and digital security and data protection best practices in contexts with highly-capable adversaries.
- Experience with various digital security audit frameworks.
- The ability to build, motivate, and support distributed, remote teams.
- High levels of professionalism and the ability to work to work to strict deadlines.
- The ability to to build effective working relationships with colleagues, clients, and recipients that are based on trust and mutual understanding.
- Highly-effective written and spoken communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Based in a time zone within UTC -4 to UTC +8, and prepared to occasionally work outside normal office hours in order to accommodate others’ time zones.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- A good understanding of (UK) GDPR and/or HIPAA.
- An understanding of the physical security and wellbeing aspects of holistic security.
- Experience working at all levels of civil society, from activists to boardrooms.
- Considerable experience as a trainer, including the delivery of online workshops.
- An information security or data protection qualification.
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV to our CEO, Chris Abbott, at [email protected]. Please also include a cover letter setting out:
- Why you are interested in the digital security lead role and Open Briefing.
- How you meet the person specification.
- One criticism or possible area for improvement in the digital security guidance in our Holistic Security Protocol for Human Rights Defenders.
This is an immediate need, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position will remain advertised until we find the appropriate candidate. Successful applicants will need to complete a reasonable vetting process before engagement.