Courageous people and communities around the world are fighting to make rights and justice universally possible. But they face attacks and reprisals from powerful vested interests. The constant threat of physical, digital or psychological harm places advocates and activists at great risk of burnout, stress, and trauma. The impacts transcend our work, rippling out to create fear and anxiety in our daily lives, for our families, and within our communities.
Against this backdrop, the laudable but unsustainable culture of self sacrifice within environmental and social movements must be addressed. We can start to view acts of personal resilience as acts of resistance!
To encourage this shift, Open Briefing is running a series of #ResilienceIsResistance wellbeing webinars for those agitating and advocating for rights and justice. Each month, one of our counsellors or psychologists introduces a key wellbeing and resilience issue and facilitates a discussion among like-minded peers facing similar challenges.
These free, 60-minute webinars are held under the Chatham House Rule in order to encourage exchange. The webinars are delivered in English with simultaneous interpretation into French and Spanish.
- Pouring energy from our cup: Introduction to wellbeing for advocates and activists. 17 October 2022, 13:00 UTC.
- Bullying: How can we create more empathic workplaces? 8 November 2022, 13:00 UTC.
- Wellbeing and leaders’ responsibilities. 13 December 2022, 13:00 UTC.
- How to address survivor guilt. 10 January 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- Healthy communication and wellbeing. 7 February 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- Burnout: How can advocates and activists address it? 14 March 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- Confronting grief. 11 April 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- Burnout: How can leaders and organisations prevent it? 9 May 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- How can nonprofit organisations budget for wellbeing? 13 June 2023, 13:00 UTC.
- How meaningful connections can help our wellbeing. 11 July 2023, 13:00 UTC.
All are welcome. Participation is free, but please make sure to save your space by registering in advance. A confirmation email will follow registration with the call-in details.