“Open Briefing has the potential to equip campaigners with the information they need to expose wrong-doing and to identify alternative solutions.”
Gemma Mortensen, chief global officer, Change.org
Open Briefing supports at-risk organisations and activists around the world with innovative safety, security and intelligence services.
We work with human rights defenders, local NGOs, independent journalists, environmental defenders, peacebuilders and others with limited capacities and resources. We help them achieve social and environmental change by ensuring their physical and cyber security or through enhancing their campaigns with intelligence and research support.
In 2017, Open Briefing…
human rights defenders
Our vision is a stronger civil society that can protect vulnerable communities and a fragile environment and support the development and implementation of policies based on diplomacy, human rights and the rule of law. Recent examples of how we have promoted this vision include:
- Risk assessments for human rights defenders working in Iraq, Russia, Mozambique and Ethiopia.
- Security plans for war crimes investigators in Liberia and a US NGO protecting civilians in Iraq.
- Hostile environment awareness training to groups working on wildlife conservation, sexual violence and international development.
- First aid training and trauma packs for a group supporting anti-poaching initiatives in southern Africa.
- Intelligence support to a think tank working on armed drones and other new military technologies.
- Research on barrel bombs in Syria for a global network of civil society organisations protecting civilians in conflict.
- Developing free tools and delivering free workshops to help spread good security practice throughout the NGO community.
- Free weekly briefings for concerned citizens on under-reported political and security developments around the world.
- Advice on cyber security, GPS trackers, insurance, medical evacuation, incident reporting and physical security to numerous NGOs.
- And much more…
Open Briefing is a groundbreaking non-profit social enterprise launched in 2011. We are unique international team of former intelligence, military, law enforcement and government professionals and specialists in humanitarian action, human rights and peacebuilding. We are supported by volunteers and funded by charitable grants and public donations.
“Issues of security and defence are often the least transparent to the public. Open Briefing is an important contribution to ensuring democratic oversight of governments and armies.”
John Feffer, co-director, Foreign Policy in Focus