“Open Briefing has the potential to equip campaigners with the information they need to expose wrong-doing and to identify alternative solutions.”
Gemma Mortensen, chief global officer, Change.org
We believe in creating a stronger civil society that can protect vulnerable communities and a fragile environment and support the development and implementation of policies based on diplomacy, human rights and the rule of law.
Our direct contribution to this is to support at-risk organisations and activists around the world by ensuring their physical, digital and psychosocial security or through enhancing their campaigns with intelligence and research support. We do this by providing low-cost, high-impact:
- Audits and consultancy
- Training and capacity building
- Resources, advice and signposting
We focus our resources on supporting high-risk, low-capacity organisations and activists, but have worked extensively with international NGOs and their senior management. Our team has recently supported:
- Human rights defenders in Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Central African Republic, Mali and Nigeria.
- Privacy campaigners and anti-corruption activists in the United Kingdom.
- At-risk child rights campaigners in Ethiopia.
- LGBTI activists in Namibia.
- Wildlife conservationists and anti-poaching initiatives in Mozambique.
- Award-winning environmental defenders in South Africa.
- Targeted war crimes investigators in Liberia.
- International NGOs in the United States, Switzerland and Britain.
Last year, Open Briefing…
human rights defenders
Open Briefing is a groundbreaking not-for-profit social enterprise pursuing charitable objectives. We are a unique international collective of humanitarians, human rights defenders, peacebuilders and environmentalists; military, intelligence, government and law enforcement veterans; and partners in the private and third sectors. We are supported by volunteers and funded by charitable grants and public donations.
Launched in 2011, Open Briefing was the first non-profit to provide professional security, risk and intelligence services to NGOs and other social change agents. With the addition of digital security, safeguarding and psychosocial support to our portfolio of services, we continue to be pioneers in this field.
To learn more about how we are different, read our core values statement and our ethical, environmental and equal opportunities policies.
“Issues of security and defence are often the least transparent to the public. Open Briefing is an important contribution to ensuring democratic oversight of governments and armies.”
John Feffer, co-director, Foreign Policy in Focus