“Open Briefing has the potential to equip campaigners with the information they need to expose wrong-doing and to identify alternative solutions.”
Gemma Mortensen, chief global officer, Change.org
Open Briefing is a groundbreaking non-profit organisation launched in 2011. We support human rights defenders, humanitarian aid workers, peacebuilders, environmental defenders, independent journalists and others striving for social and environmental justice or protecting vulnerable communities.
We provide security risk management, cyber security and open source intelligence services to organisations and individuals, particularly those working in or on fragile and conflict-affected states or under repressive regimes. We also deliver a public intelligence service so that all citizens can know what is really going on in the world and play their part in changing it.Open Briefing's mission is to protect and inform all those striving for social and environmental justiceClick To Tweet
Our vision is a stronger civil society that can protect vulnerable communities and a fragile environment and support the development and implementation of policies based on diplomacy, human rights and the rule of law. Recent examples of how we have promoted this vision include:
- Risk assessments for human rights groups working in Iraq, Russia, Mozambique and Ethiopia.
- Security plans for at-risk human rights defenders in Liberia and a US NGO protecting civilians in Iraq.
- Hostile environment awareness training to groups working on wildlife conservation, sexual violence and international development.
- First aid training and trauma packs for a group supporting anti-poaching initiatives in southern Africa.
- Intelligence support to a think tank working on armed drones and other new military technologies.
- Research on barrel bombs in Syria for a global network of civil society organisations protecting civilians in conflict.
- Free weekly briefings for concerned citizens on under-reported political and security developments around the world.
- Advice on cyber security, GPS trackers, insurance, medical evacuation, incident reporting and physical security to numerous NGOs.
- And much more…
Open Briefing is a unique international team of former intelligence, military, law enforcement and government professionals and specialists in humanitarian action, human rights and peacebuilding. We are supported by volunteers and funded by charitable grants and public donations.
“Issues of security and defence are often the least transparent to the public. Open Briefing is an important contribution to ensuring democratic oversight of governments and armies.”
John Feffer, co-director, Foreign Policy in Focus