“Open Briefing has the potential to equip campaigners with the information they need to expose wrong-doing and to identify alternative solutions.”
Gemma Mortensen, chief global officer, Change.org
Open Briefing is the world’s first civil society intelligence agency. We are a unique international team of former intelligence, military, law enforcement and government professionals and specialists in humanitarian action, human rights and peacebuilding. Our mission is to protect and inform all those striving for social and environmental justice, particularly those working in or on fragile and conflict-affected states or under repressive regimes.Open Briefing's mission is to protect and inform all those working for social and environmental justiceClick To Tweet
Open Briefing prioritises four key areas of action:
Innovation: We drive transformation in the way that NGOs and journalists view and use intelligence and security to effectively assist vulnerable communities and drive positive change.
Protection: We provide low-cost, high-impact intelligence, security, training and equipment services to organisations and individuals who are working to protect people and the planet.
Transparency: We deliver a public ‘open source’ intelligence service so that all citizens can know what is really going on in the world.
Accountability: We scrutinise the actions of governments and militaries and generate alternative policies that emphasise diplomacy, human rights and the rule of law.
Our flagship intelligence and security risk management services include:
- Intelligence and research support for NGOs.
- Risk assessments for boards and project teams.
- A public ‘open source’ intelligence service.
- Emergency extraction and evacuation teams.
- Remote medical support over the telephone or internet.
- Comprehensive hostile environment awareness training (HEAT).
- Advanced first aid training for aid workers, freelance journalists and others.
- Cyber security audits and training.
- Individual and team first aid kits.
- Full body armour packages for freelance journalists and others.
- Satellite phones for those working in remote locations.
- Medical and crisis response travel insurance for high-risk locations.
- Innovative research on defence and security issues.
- And much more…
Open Briefing is a groundbreaking non-profit organisation founded in 2011. We are staffed by professionals, supported by volunteers and funded by charitable grants and public donations.
“Issues of security and defence are often the least transparent to the public. Open Briefing is an important contribution to ensuring democratic oversight of governments and armies.”
John Feffer, co-director, Foreign Policy in Focus