Open Briefing is a unique nonprofit that prevents and responds to serious attacks on civil society and civic space around the world and works to create the conditions in which they no longer happen. Through unique, demand-driven projects, Open Briefing provides rapid responses to immediate threats to human rights defenders and other civic actors at risk and longer-term holistic security capacity building and mentoring to grassroots organisations. As a social enterprise, we also help charities, foundations, and social businesses understand and meet their risk management, duty of care, data protection, and safeguarding commitments to staff and local partners. For more information, please see our #10YearsOfImpact page.
In response to the significant and rapidly growing demand for our support against the backdrop of a challenging funding landscape, we are urgently seeking an experienced consultant fundraiser or consultancy for 5 days a month to build on our successes in trust and foundation fundraising and develop and launch a new major donor programme.
We are seeking to secure new, multi-year foundation funding of £100,000 in 2021-22, rising to £250,000 per annum from 2022-23 onwards. Working closely with our CEO, your responsibilities in relation to trusts and foundations will include:
- Updating our case for support for both core costs and project funding.
- Identifying appropriate funding opportunities from foundations in the UK and abroad.
- Writing letters of enquiry and funding bids.
We are seeking to secure major donations totalling £20,000 in 2021-22, rising to £50,000 per year from 2022-23 onwards. Your responsibilities in relation to major donors will include:
- Preparing our case for support.
- Developing an action plan.
- Prospect identification and research.
- Supporting our CEO with cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
The contract is for an initial six months, renewable by mutual agreement until June 2022, with further contracts dependant on performance and budget.
- At least 5 year’s experience in trust and foundation fundraising for non-profits.
- Experience fundraising from trusts and foundations in the UK and the United States.
- At least 5 year’s experience in major donor fundraising for non-profits.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience fundraising from trusts and foundations in the EU and Switzerland.
- Experience working with human rights organisations and/or humanitarian organisations.
- Familiarity with non-profit structures that are not charities.
- Used to working independently as part of a remote-working team.
How to apply
To apply, please email our CEO, Chris Abbott, at [email protected] with your CV and a cover letter setting out your relevant experience and rates in GBP. Joint applications will also be considered to cover both trusts and foundations and major donors separately at 3 days and 2 days a month respectively. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.