Open Briefing will be closed from Friday 16 December until Monday 9 January for a much-needed holiday!
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all our funders and donors for your ongoing financial support – it is very much appreciated. I’d also like to extend a big thank you to our team of analysts, researchers, consultants, instructors and advisers who have worked tirelessly over 2016 – thank you!
Some of the highlights of the last 12 months include:
- In January, our groundbreaking Hostile Drones report garnered international media attention and sparked significant political debate in Britain.
- In the first half of the year, we published six intelligence briefings on UK actions against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, culminating in an in-depth assessment in May.
- We secured three-year funding from Oak Foundation in May.
- In June, we launched our new weekly political and security risk updates, which are being very well received.
- In the build-up to the EU referendum debate in Britain, we published an impartial assessment of the contribution that the EU makes to the UK’s security in comparison to NATO.
- In October, we launched numerous new intelligence, security, training and equipment services, including risk assessments, hostile environment awareness training, first aid training, first aid kits, body armour, sat phones and numerous other security risk management and research support services.
- Our innovative remote warfare monthly briefings continued throughout the year, culminating in our in-depth Remote Warfare Digest in November.
- In November, we launched a completely redesigned and expanded website, which we hope is a vast improvement on the old one.
- Throughout the year, we completed various risk assessments and intelligence and research contracts for non-profit organisations dedicated to social and environmental justice.
- We have significantly expanded our team and are recruiting for more people to join us.
- And much more!
Open Briefing has gone from strength-to-strength this year, and we have big plans for 2017; however, we can’t do it without your support. So, please consider making a donation this Christmas if you are able to do so.
Finally, I’d like to wish all our clients, subscribers and website visitors a happy holiday season and a peaceful new year!
Founder and executive director